Advertisement
Australia markets closed
  • ALL ORDS

    8,209.20
    -63.50 (-0.77%)
     
  • ASX 200

    7,971.60
    -64.90 (-0.81%)
     
  • AUD/USD

    0.6685
    -0.0026 (-0.38%)
     
  • OIL

    80.25
    -2.57 (-3.10%)
     
  • GOLD

    2,402.80
    -53.60 (-2.18%)
     
  • Bitcoin AUD

    99,577.69
    +3,606.02 (+3.76%)
     
  • CMC Crypto 200

    1,374.11
    +43.22 (+3.25%)
     
  • AUD/EUR

    0.6142
    -0.0007 (-0.12%)
     
  • AUD/NZD

    1.1116
    +0.0029 (+0.26%)
     
  • NZX 50

    12,325.60
    -3.84 (-0.03%)
     
  • NASDAQ

    19,522.62
    -182.47 (-0.93%)
     
  • FTSE

    8,155.72
    -49.17 (-0.60%)
     
  • Dow Jones

    40,287.53
    -377.49 (-0.93%)
     
  • DAX

    18,171.93
    -182.83 (-1.00%)
     
  • Hang Seng

    17,417.68
    -360.73 (-2.03%)
     
  • NIKKEI 225

    40,063.79
    -62.56 (-0.16%)
     

Win a house for just $5.40 - 2 days left to enter

House in Weston-super-Mare that is being raffled.
A British couple is raffling off their house but time is running out to enter the draw. (Source: Raffique)

Owning a home is a dream for many of us, and one couple is hoping to help a lucky person turn that dream into a reality.

A British couple is raffling off their house for just £3 (or $5.40) a ticket. The four-bedroom converted bungalow is located in the seaside town of Weston-super-Mare on the southwest coast of England.

Owners Leonie Webb and Declan Garrett said the cost of living was astronomical, so they decided to raffle off their home to help another person get onto the property ladder.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The cost of living is absolutely ridiculous right now,” Webb shared in a video on Instagram.

“We understand more than most - we have seven children who need feeding and clothing.

“My husband is a school teacher and I work in behavioural education, so I also work within schools. Ordinarily, we wouldn’t be able to afford a house. We were very, very lucky to buy a house when we did.

“We are looking to move … so, we decided to raffle off our house to give someone the gift of owning a house.”

Weston-super-Mare house for sale in raffle competition. Back yard of house.
This seaside house could be yours for just $5.40. (Source: Raffique)

Garrett said they were also worried about the current interest rate on their mortgage.

"Our fixed rate runs out next year so it compounds our concerns,” Garrett told NeedToKnow online.

"The main problem with mortgages is that affordability checks suggest that no one with seven kids could afford any reasonable mortgage."

Weston-super-Mare house for sale through raffle. Kitchen in house.
Time is running out to enter the draw. (Source: Raffique)

The home is being raffled off through online platform Raffique, with the winner of the house set to be drawn on October 26.

The couple is hoping to sell between 300,000 and 500,000 entries - which equates to between £900,000 and £1.5 million ($1.62 million to $2.7 million).

If they don’t sell at least 300,000 raffle tickets, the winner of the raffle will instead receive 75 per cent of the ticket sales, while Raffique will keep the remaining 25 per cent. Webb and Garrett will keep the home.

Entries to the competition close on October 21.

Follow Yahoo Finance on Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and Twitter, and subscribe to the free Fully Briefed daily newsletter.