Flood assistance: This is who is eligible in NSW and Queensland

·2-min read
Flooded road in NSW and NSW SES workers
Disaster assistance is now available in 30 flood affected areas following severe flooding. (Source: Getty)

Disaster assistance is now available in 30 flood affected areas in New South Wales and Queensland following severe flooding.

The federal and state government assistance is available to 27 local government areas in NSW and three in Queensland.

It includes funding to help people whose homes or belongings have been damaged in the floods, as well as funding for councils to repair roads and other essential infrastructure.

Small businesses, primary producers and non-profit organisations can access concessional loans, while primary producers can also receive freight subsidies.

Federal Minister for Emergency Management, Murray Watt, said many communities had already experienced flooding this year.

“Eleven of these LGAs were also declared in August, which demonstrates how challenging it can be for these communities to get back on their feet,” Watt said.

“Some financial support has already been made available through the Commonwealth and State governments for the August floods, but councils are facing significant repairs to public assets damaged in the latest event, and our priority is to provide the support we can.”

NSW Minister for Flood Recovery Steph Cooke said the assistance would help communities access recovery support.

“We know that with these types of floods it can take some time to understand and calculate the impacts of an event like this, particularly when some LGAs still have flooding throughout their regions due to river system flooding,” Ms Cooke said.

“We are continuing to assess the impacts of this event to ensure that appropriate support is available.”

Who is eligible?

Residents in the following NSW and Queensland LGAs are eligible for assistance:

New South Wales

  • Blayney

  • Bogan

  • Bourke

  • Brewarrina

  • Cabonne

  • Cowra

  • Dubbo

  • Edward River

  • Forbes

  • Gilgandra

  • Glen Innes Severn

  • Greater Hume

  • Gunnedah

  • Gwydir

  • Lachlan

  • Lithgow

  • Liverpool Plains

  • Moree Plains

  • Mid-Western

  • Narrabri

  • Narromine

  • Tamworth

  • Upper Lachlan

  • Walgett

  • Warren

  • Warrumbungle

  • Weddin


  • Murweh

  • Paroo

  • Quilpie

NSW residents can contact Service NSW at 13 77 88 to find out more, while Queenslanders can contact the Queensland Reconstruction Authority at 1800 110 841.

Follow Yahoo Finance on Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and Twitter, and subscribe to the free Fully Briefed daily newsletter.