Australia markets closed
  • ALL ORDS

    7,745.90
    -25.90 (-0.33%)
     
  • AUD/USD

    0.6897
    -0.0027 (-0.39%)
     
  • ASX 200

    7,539.00
    -19.10 (-0.25%)
     
  • OIL

    73.62
    +0.23 (+0.31%)
     
  • GOLD

    1,886.10
    +9.50 (+0.51%)
     
  • BTC-AUD

    33,110.67
    -1,045.87 (-3.06%)
     
  • CMC Crypto 200

    524.34
    -12.51 (-2.33%)
     

Woman ends up in ER after a DIY gel manicure: 'When your nail tech says don't cut your cuticles ... listen to them'

This manicure horror story is definitely a nail-biter.

TikToker @lanalovessushi disregarded the wisdom of her nail technician. But after giving herself an at-home gel manicure, she ended up in the hospital. Now she’s letting others know: Don’t cut your cuticles.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

“When your nail tech says don’t cut your cuticles… listen to them,” the video text said. “Update: they removed my whole nail.”

The initial footage showed her thumb completely red and swollen around the nail. In the update, it was bandaged up — probably for the best.

“As a licensed nail technician, what people mistakingly refer to as cuticle is actually living tissue,” a person commented.

“Babes just get a nice cuticle oil and moisturise your hands there’s noooo need!! speedy recovery sweetheart,” another said.

“My sister used to bite off her cuticles I remember all of her fingers looked like that a few times,” a user wrote.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

She elaborated on the incident in an update. She had been doing manicures for a couple of years and always cut her cuticles.

“I do get carried away sometimes ’cause you start snipping,” she said. “You start snipping it off, and then it lifts, and it keeps lifting, and then there’s more skin, and you just keep cutting.”

The American Academy of Dermatology advises against cutting cuticles at home or professionally. Cuticles help to protect the nail from infection, and removing them makes it more susceptible to harmful bacteria and germs.

In The Know is now available on Apple News — follow us here!

The post Woman ends up in ER after a DIY gel manicure appeared first on In The Know.

More from In The Know:

9 Amazon home finds that will make it feel like you have your life together

These are the Fenty Beauty products Rihanna's makeup artist used to create her rosy Golden Globes look

'Family Karma' star Monica Vaswani on watching her relationship drama play out on the show

UFC fighter turned food critic has TikTokers crying over pizzeria review