Australia markets open in 5 hours 15 minutes

    -67.80 (-0.83%)

    +0.0015 (+0.22%)
  • ASX 200

    -66.90 (-0.85%)
  • OIL

    +0.77 (+0.97%)
  • GOLD

    +34.30 (+1.44%)
  • Bitcoin AUD

    -299.36 (-0.30%)
  • CMC Crypto 200

    -13.99 (-1.02%)

Thousands of Aussies eligible for $5,000 cash boost

If you’re embarking on a journey to attend university this year you may be eligible for a $5,000 cash grant.

Australia cash and people walking on a busy street.
Aussies moving to attend university could be eligible for a cash boost. (Source: Getty)

Aussies who are moving from a regional or remote area to study at university could get a one-off cash payment up to $5,000.

The Tertiary Access Payment helps with the cost of moving for study after completing year 12. It could be to a university, TAFE or another private education provider.

The one-off payment is either $5,000 received in two installments for those moving from an outer-regional or remote area, or a $3,000 payment if you’re moving from an inner-regional area.


Services Australia said eligible Aussies could claim now for 2023, even if their course hadn’t started yet. However, it should be noted, you can only claim the payment in your first year of tertiary study.

Are you eligible for the cash payment?

To get the Tertiary Access Payment, you need to meet some rules. You need to be an eligible student moving away from home to study at a tertiary education provider. This payment is for those who start studying at any point in the year immediately after completing year 12 or equivalent.

If you’re eligible, you can only claim the Tertiary Access Payment from January 1 to December 31 in your first year of tertiary study.

To get this payment you must also be all of the following:

  • An Australian resident meeting residence rules

  • From an inner-regional, outer-regional, remote or very remote area

  • Moving to study at a tertiary education provider that’s at least 90 minutes from your family home by public transport

  • Have completed year 12 or equivalent

  • Studying a tertiary course at certificate IV or above in the year after year 12 with no gap year

  • 22 or younger on the day you start your tertiary course

  • Have parents or guardians whose income is under the current combined parental income limit of $250,000

To get the payment, you must be studying one of the following:

  • University course

  • Vocational Educational and Training (VET) course

  • Other higher-education course

“You may still be eligible if you can’t study full time. This needs to be for a special reason and you’ll need to give us proof,” Services Australia said.

Follow Yahoo Finance on Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and Twitter, and subscribe to our free daily newsletter.