Australia markets open in 8 hours 51 minutes

    -5.30 (-0.07%)

    +0.0017 (+0.25%)
  • ASX 200

    -8.40 (-0.11%)
  • OIL

    +0.39 (+0.48%)
  • GOLD

    -6.00 (-0.26%)
  • Bitcoin AUD

    +576.18 (+0.60%)
  • CMC Crypto 200

    +42.25 (+3.16%)

Thousands of Aussies eligible for $1,000 cash boost

A person removing $100 notes from a wallet and a crowd of people walking across the street on a rainy day to represent flood payments.
Disaster Recovery payments for flood victims have been extended to another 44 LGAs. (Source: Getty)

Aussies in Victoria, Tasmania and New South Wales who have been impacted by extensive flooding have been made eligible to access disaster payments.

Another 44 local government areas (LGAs) have been added to the list of eligible areas to claim the cash support.

The one-off, non-means-tested Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment is $1,000 per eligible adult and $400 per eligible child.


This means a family of four could claim $2,800.

If you live in Victoria, you can now claim the payment if you‘re a resident of:

  • Alpine

  • Benalla

  • Buloke

  • Campaspe

  • Central Goldfields

  • Corangamite

  • Gannawarra

  • Greater Bendigo

  • Greater Shepparton

  • Hepburn

  • Horsham

  • Loddon

  • Macedon Ranges

  • Mansfield

  • Maribyrnong

  • Mitchell Shire

  • Moira

  • Moonee Valley

  • Murrindindi

  • Northern Grampians

  • Pyrenees

  • Strathbogie

  • Wangaratta

If you live in Tasmania, you can now claim the payment if you‘re a resident of

  • Break O’Day

  • Burnie

  • Central Coast

  • Central Highlands

  • Circular Head

  • Devonport

  • Dorset

  • Flinders

  • George Town

  • Kentish

  • Latrobe

  • Launceston

  • Meander Valley

  • Northern Midlands

  • Waratah-Wynyard

  • West Coast

  • West Tamar

If you live in New South Wales, you can now claim the payment if you‘re a resident of

  • Central Coast

  • Coonamble

  • Goulburn-Mulwaree

  • Parkes

How to access flood payments

Flood victims can apply for a Disaster Recovery Payment by following these three steps.

1. Set up a myGov account

According to the Services Australia website, if you’re an Australian resident or protected visa holder, the simplest way to claim is online.

To do this, you’ll first need to set up a myGov account, if you haven’t already.

People who need help lodging a claim can call Services Australia on the emergency information line on 180 22 66.

2. Link your myGov account to Centrelink

Next, you’ll need to link Centrelink to your myGov account.

If you have lodged a claim for a payment before through Centrelink, you’ll be able to use your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN) to link Centrelink to myGov. You’ll also need to answer some personal questions, the department advised.

If you haven’t lodged a claim before, you’ll need to prove your identity online using myGov.

3. Make a claim

Once you’ve set up a myGov account and linked it to Centrelink, you can sign in and click “Apply for Disaster Recovery Payment”

You’ll need to answer several eligibility and claim questions before you can submit your claim.

Follow Yahoo Finance on Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and Twitter, and subscribe to the free Fully Briefed daily newsletter.