Australia markets open in 3 hours 58 minutes

    +0.50 (+0.01%)

    +0.0064 (+0.86%)
  • ASX 200

    -6.20 (-0.08%)
  • OIL

    +0.41 (+0.50%)
  • GOLD

    +5.20 (+0.29%)

    +1,570.64 (+1.89%)
  • CMC Crypto 200

    +5.46 (+0.37%)

Tamworth murder victim was 'freaked out'

·2-min read

A young woman was "freaked out" by a man who is accused of her stabbing murder at her Tamworth home, a court has been told.

Jesse Leigh Green, 30, is charged with murdering his former neighbour, 22-year-old Teah Luckwell, in the early hours of March 28, 2018.

Justice Stephen Campbell is conducting a special NSW Supreme Court hearing after Green was found unfit to stand trial.

Joshua Moore told the NSW Supreme Court on Monday that he had met up with Ms Luckwell in March to give her two mobile phones as hers was smashed.

Ms Luckwell told Mr Moore she had a few messages from Green that were concerning.

"She said she was a bit freaked out by him, I don't know what she meant by it," Mr Moore said.

He suggested she stay with her family for a while but "she didn't listen to me," he said.

Green has been taken to have pleaded not guilty to the murder, as well as to break and enter, and assault with a weapon said to have been committed at different houses on the same night.

On Monday another neighbourhood resident Casey Stace told the court she saw Ms Luckwell pushing a pram with another man named James a few days before she died.

Ms Stace had known Green for about a year and said he grew fond of Ms Luckwell when she moved into the area.

The new resident became the "top subject" for Green and the pair would frequently meet up and were getting on before he went to jail.

"He thought she was hot," Ms Stace said.

But following his release from prison Green thought she had started seeing someone else and stopped mentioning her much after that, she said.

The night before Ms Luckwell was stabbed Green visited Ms Stace at her home for about 30 minutes and had been "rapping" outside.

On the morning of Ms Luckwell's death Lisina Monk saw her letting a young man, in his late teens or early 20s and wearing a baseball cap, into her apartment.

That evening she was found by another neighbour lying in a pool of blood just inside the front door of her Tamworth unit.

A little girl was sitting beside her, unharmed.

The judge was previously told of one witness hearing a "terrifying" scream in the early hours of the morning.

She then saw a young distressed man trying to run past her home saying "oh s***, oh f***'", maybe three times.

The special hearing continues.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting