SUDBURY, Ontario, September 28, 2021--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Rescue efforts continue for the remaining four workers who are still underground at Vale’s Totten Mine. Earlier today, 35 workers were safely evacuated and are now resting at home.
The previously announced press conference will be postponed until Wednesday, September 29 – time to be determined.
"This is a complex situation, with every precaution is being taken to ensure the safety and well-being of the workers and those involved in the evacuation effort," said Nick Larochelle, United Steelworkers (USW) Local 6500 president. "Rescue efforts are ongoing and the families of the remaining four workers are being regularly updated."
"We thank the mine rescue crews who have been working since Sunday to safely evacuate these workers, we thank the miners for their patience and endurance, their families and the larger community who have rallied behind us during this difficult situation," said Larochelle.
Exiting the mine involves climbing a series of ladders over approximately 1,200 metres (1.2 km), a physically and mentally taxing feat.
USW Local 6500 represents 2,600 members including production and maintenance workers in mining, milling, smelting and refining at Vale’s Sudbury operations.
USW represents 225,000 workers in nearly every sector of the economy and is a leader in health and safety.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210928006142/en/
To be added to the media list for updates, please email firstname.lastname@example.org