Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO)(ASX: XJO) and ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) indices finished higher on Wednesday.
Here’s a short recap of the Australian market:
- S&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO) up 0.05% to 6,069.90
- ALL ORDINARIES (Index: ^AXAO) (ASX: XAO) up 0.04% to 6,169.70
- AUD/USD at US 77 cents
- Gold at US$1,282 an ounce
- Oil at US$59.78 a barrel, down 0.03%.
Among the biggest movers of the day, the Retail Food Group Limited (ASX: RFG) share price rose by 9.57%. This means the share price has grown by 56% since its low of $1.62 on 20 December 2017. Today’s rise is due to the company announcing the extension of its debt facilities by a further three years.
The gold miners such as Resolute Mining Limited (ASX: RSG) and St Barbara Ltd (ASX: SBM) had a good day thanks to a rising gold price. Fellow commodity miner Pilbara Minerals Ltd (ASX: PLS) also had a good day, rising 4.2% to $1.17.
The market appears to have had a delayed reaction to National Veterinary Care Ltd’s (ASX: NVL) announcement that it will be acquiring a further four veterinary clinics by the end of February 2018, the share price rose by 4.44% today.
Finally, Qantas Airways Limited (ASX: QAN) and Santos Ltd (ASX: STO) have experienced diverging share prices today thanks to the oil price hitting $60. The Qantas share price fell by 2.5% and the Santos share price rose by 1.51%.
Here are some of today’s top stories:
- Is this medical device stock the next to surge after Cochlear Limited and ResMed Inc.?
- Energy shares rise as oil reaches US$60 a barrel
- 4 shares I’m tipping for a big 2018
- This healthcare stock is set for a nice earnings upgrade in 2018
- 10 top shares for 2018
- Turning $10,000 into $8 million Was Just the Beginning For 1 Man
- Leading brokers name 3 ASX shares to buy
- Should growth investors be swarming all over this internet king?
- These 3 under-the-radar tech shares are going nuts
- 2 New Share Picks Every Month
Motley Fool contributor Tristan Harrison owns shares of NATVETCARE FPO. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of and has recommended Retail Food Group Limited. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of NATVETCARE FPO. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.