TPG Telecoms confirmed yesterday its legacy cloud-based hosting service was hit by a cyber attack.
TPG said the attack was an isolated incident and had been working closely with forensic experts.
Luckily the attack was contained and only two customers were impacted by their data being accessed.
This comes after a number of high profile cyber attacks in recent weeks targeting everything from a US fuel pipeline to the Australian Government.
US Pipeline attack
In the United States, the Colonial Pipeline was forced to temporarily shut down after it was the victim of a cyber attack from criminals in eastern Europe.
This attack garnered wordwide attention as it halted millions of barrels of gas, diesel and jet fuel from flowing from the Gulf Coast to the East Coast of the United States.
The attack was so extreme Colonial Pipeline chief executive Joseph Blount revealed the company paid the hackers $5.6 million (US$4.4 million) as the company was unsure how badly it’s systems were breached.
Blount said the decision was made to pay the hackers for the “greater good”.
"I know that's a highly controversial decision. I didn't make it lightly. I will admit that I wasn't comfortable seeing money go out the door to people like this," Blount told the Wall Street Journal.
Domain cyber attack
Popular real estate listings website Domain warned users last week to be careful when securing rental properties on its website after a cyber attack.
The attack led hackers to gain unauthorised third party access to personal information and would demand deposits.
Domain chief executive Jason Pellegrino warned users that personal information, such as phone numbers and email addresses, may have been obtained in the attack.
Australian Government targeted
It’s not just companies which have fallen victim to cyber attacks recently, with the Australian Federal Government also being hit.
The Federal parliament suffered a “brute force” attack in March with President of the Senate Scott Ryan telling an estimates hearing the malicious activity lasted 24 hours.
Ryan said it was unsuccessful and Department of Parliamentary Services networks were not compromised.
"I'm not going to get into a backdoor discussion of attribution," Ryan said.
"A malicious actor sought to access the Department of Parliamentary Services network accounts from MobileIron devices," he said.
The attempted hack sparked an outage for department-issued mobile phones and tablets from March 27 to April 5 as accounts were locked down.
He said "unsophisticated brute force tradecraft" was used.