Holden has avoided any need for forced redundancies, with 170 Adelaide workers agreeing to leave.
The company announced last month its plan to shed staff from its Elizabeth car production plant in northern Adelaide due to dwindling car sales.
Corporate affairs manager Sean Poppitt said Holden had worked hard to deal with the losses sensitively.
"This timing has a little bit more edge to it in the lead-up to Christmas, which is why we worked extra hard on this one to try and make the process and the changes go as smoothly as possible," he said.
"The feedback we've got from the employees has been positive in terms of the way it's been handled." Mr Poppitt said Holden was hoping for brighter times in 2013.
"There's some really positive events on the horizon for us, most notably we'll be launching our new Commodore in the first half of next year which is just an awesome new product, so we really hope that gives us a boost," he said.
"[We hope the] manufacturing situation as a whole is really able to get some runs on the board." The workers who have agreed to go are expected to work their final shifts on December 14.