Fears Qld flood death toll will climb

There are fears for the lives of two men believed to be missing in floodwaters in Queensland's Lockyer Valley.

Four people have already died in the state's ongoing flood crisis, and it's feared the toll could rise with others still missing.

The latest cases involve two men, aged 25 and 34, who were travelling the same route west of Gatton early on Sunday. Both men were headed to work but failed to arrive.

The 25-year-old's car was found submerged in Sandy Creek at Glen Cairn, near Gatton, on Tuesday afternoon, police told AAP.

There's been no word from him since, nor from the 34-year-old worker who was travelling from Gatton to Mulgowie around the same time on Sunday.

A fisherman also remains missing after his boat began taking on water off flood-hit Rockhampton on Thursday last week.

His companion was rescued but there's been no sign of the missing man despite intensive search efforts.

But there is some good news about a woman who was feared missing at Pacific Haven near Maryborough on Sunday.

A witness reported seeing a woman drive into flood waters there, but police on Wednesday said there had been no reports of anyone missing in that area.

Those confirmed dead are a three-year-old boy who had a tree fall on him in Brisbane and three men who died in floodwaters: one south of Brisbane, one at Burnett Heads near Bundaberg, and the other near Gympie.

Rivers and creeks across the state are beginning to fall across central and southern Queensland, as authorities turn their minds to the mammoth recovery task ahead.

In the flood-stricken city of Bundaberg, where more than 7000 people have been displaced, the Burnett River peaked at a record 9.53 metres on Tuesday.

But with so much water coming down the system, it's going to be some time before flooded suburbs re-emerge from the dirty tide.

Premier Campbell Newman says there is some good news though, with roads expected to clear enough to get soldiers in by road from Brisbane.

"This morning we have 120 soldiers from the Enoggera army barracks, in 44 vehicles, heading north to Bundaberg. They should be there by late this afternoon," he told ABC television.

He said other army resources were on standby to head to Bundaberg and flood-hit surrounding communities such as Mundubbera, Gayndah, Eidsvold and Monto.

Mr Newman said there was also a big clean-up task ahead in the Lockyer Valley, particularly in the town of Laidley, which will be visited by Governor-General Quentin Bryce on Wednesday.

Ms Bryce will visit the valley towns of Laidley, Grantham and Withcott after spending time at a Brisbane hospital with patients evacuated from Bundaberg.

Bruce Grady from Emergency Management Queensland said all efforts were underway to reach isolated communities outside the major flood-hit centres.

"While Bundaberg is the focus, we haven't forgotten about those other isolated communities," he told the Seven Network.

"I can assure everyone we have our best efforts in place to make sure we get to all of those communities as quickly as we possibly can."

In Bundaberg, about 1200 people remained in official evacuation centres, with 2000 homes affected by flooding, he said.

"But of course, significantly more people self-evacuated. We don't have exact numbers on that at the moment."

Market Data

  • Currencies
    Currencies
    NamePriceChange% Chg
    0.9327-0.0005-0.05%
    AUDUSD=X
    0.5555-0.0003-0.05%
    AUDGBP=X
    0.6753-0.0003-0.05%
    AUDEUR=X
  • Commodities
    Commodities
    NamePriceChange% Chg