Australia markets open in 4 hours 30 minutes

    +27.40 (+0.36%)

    -0.0024 (-0.34%)
  • ASX 200

    +26.00 (+0.35%)
  • OIL

    +1.19 (+1.54%)
  • GOLD

    +6.80 (+0.36%)

    -269.30 (-0.81%)
  • CMC Crypto 200

    -7.46 (-1.39%)

Centrelink relief for thousands of Aussies

The Centrelink sign on the exterior of a Services Australia building. A person holding $50 notes.
Centrelink recipients in flood-affected areas have had their mutual obligation requirements paused. (Source: Getty)

Mutual obligation requirements have been paused for some Centrelink recipients who live in New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania.

Services Australia said flood-affected Aussies have had their requirements paused from October 14 to November 11, 2022.

“During this period, no payment suspensions or financial penalties will apply if you don’t meet your mutual obligation or participation requirements,” Services Australia said.

You have had your requirements paused if you live in the following postcodes and local government areas (LGAs):

New South Wales LGAs:

  • Albury

Victoria Postcodes:

  • 3024

  • 3030

Victoria LGAs:

  • Alpine

  • Benalla

  • Buloke

  • Campaspe

  • Central Goldfields

  • Greater Shepparton

  • Indigo

  • Loddon

  • Mansfield

  • Maribyrnong

  • Mitchell

  • Moira

  • Moonee Valley

  • Murrindindi

  • Strathbogie

  • Towong

  • Wangaratta

  • Wodonga

Tasmania LGAs:

  • Break O’Day

  • Burnie

  • Central Coast

  • Central Highlands

  • Circular Head

  • Devonport

  • Dorset

  • George Town

  • Kentish

  • Latrobe

  • Launceston

  • Northern Midlands

  • Meander Valley

  • Waratah-Wynyard

  • West Tamar

Disaster payments extended

Thousands of flood-affected Aussies in Victoria, Tasmania and New South Wales have also been made eligible to access disaster payments.

Another 44 local government areas (LGAs) were last week added to the list of eligible areas to claim the cash support.

The one-off, non-means-tested Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment is $1,000 per eligible adult and $400 per eligible child.

This means a family of four could claim $2,800.

Flood victims can apply for a Disaster Recovery Payment by following these three steps.

1. Set up a myGov account

According to the Services Australia website, if you’re an Australian resident or protected visa holder, the simplest way to claim is online.

To do this, you’ll first need to set up a myGov account, if you haven’t already.

People who need help lodging a claim can call Services Australia on the emergency information line on 180 22 66.

2. Link your myGov account to Centrelink

Next, you’ll need to link Centrelink to your myGov account.

If you have lodged a claim for a payment before through Centrelink, you’ll be able to use your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN) to link Centrelink to myGov. You’ll also need to answer some personal questions.

If you haven’t lodged a claim before, you’ll need to prove your identity online using myGov.

3. Make a claim

Once you’ve set up a myGov account and linked it to Centrelink, you can sign in and click “Apply for Disaster Recovery Payment”.

You’ll need to answer several eligibility and claim questions before you can submit your claim.

Follow Yahoo Finance on Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and Twitter, and subscribe to the free Fully Briefed daily newsletter.