Around 140,000 spectators will attend the race weekend at the iconic Northamptonshire circuit between 16-18 July after the Government included the event as part of the latest phase of their Event Research Programme (ERP), which is overseeing a range of pilots testing the return of fans.
It is expected to be the biggest crowd seen at a UK event since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic last year, with the postponed easing of remaining lockdown restrictions expected to take place across the country on July 19.
"We are delighted to confirm that the Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix 2021 has been included in the latest phase of the UK Government’s Event Research Programme (ERP) allowing a full capacity crowd for the event between 16th – 18th July,” F1 said in an official statement released on Thursday.
"Ticket holders will be asked for either proof of a negative lateral flow test taken within 48 hours of arrival at Silverstone or proof of full vaccination, the second dose having been received at least 14 days prior to the first day of attending the British Grand Prix.
"The Silverstone team will be working closely with the ERP experts and particularly the Director of Public Health in Northamptonshire on the specific conditions of entry that will enable the event to operate safely and will be announcing these details to ticket holders in the next ten days."
One of the highlights of the annual national sporting calendar, last year the British Grand Prix took place behind closed doors due to Covid, as did the subsequent event commemorating the 70th anniversary of the very first Formula One World Championship race held at Silverstone in 1950.
Seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen took a victory each on British soil last season and are currently engaged in an enthralling title battle seven races into the 2021 campaign, with Red Bull’s Verstappen leading his Mercedes counterpart by 12 points atop of the drivers’ standings following his dramatic victory at the French Grand Prix on Sunday.
Reacting to the news that this year will see a full capacity crowd back at the home of British motor racing, Silverstone managing director Stuart Pringle said: “This is something we have all been working towards for months and I cannot wait to welcome a full capacity crowd back to Silverstone this July. Many of our fans rolled their tickets over from 2020 but they are now well placed to enjoy what is sure to be one of the highlights of the summer.
“My thanks go to the Culture Secretary and his team at the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport for their tireless efforts on behalf of the sports sector, but also the Prime Minister, Michael Gove and the teams in No.10 and the Cabinet Office for recognising what an amazing, safe opportunity the British Grand Prix offers to show the world how Britain has dragged itself back on track following the fight against the pandemic.”