The S&P / ASX 200 Index (^AXJO) (ASX:XJO) gained 0.7% to close at 5,181.5, buoyed by upbeat Chinese trade and inflation data. The gold sector showed the biggest gains, rising 3.4%, while materials and metals & mining both posted gains of more than 1%. The utilities and consumer staples sectors both finished in the red, down 0.6% and 0.1% respectively.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today.
- Emeco Holdings (EHL.AX) climbed 11% to 25 cents
- Mount Gibson Iron (MGX.AX) jumped 8.5% to 83 cents
- Boart Longyear (BLY.AX) rose 7.8% to 55.5 cents
- Senex Energy (SXY.AX) added 6.5% to 82.5 cents
- Beadell Resources (BDR.AX) closed up 6% to 88.5 cents
These stocks were the losers on the day.
- Discovery Metals (DML.AX) dropped 7.7% to 12 cents
- McMillan Shakespeare (MMS.AX) slipped 5.4% to $12.68
- Monadelphous (MND.AX) fell 3.9% to $19.90
- Billabong International (BBG.AX) lost 3.4% to 43 cents
- Horizon Oil (HZN.AX) closed down 2.9% at 33 cents
Interested in our #1 dividend-paying stock? Discover The Motley Fool’s favourite income idea for 2013-2014 in our brand-new, FREE research report, including a full investment analysis! Simply click here for your FREE copy of “The Motley Fool’s Top Dividend Stock for 2013-2014.”
- Next rate move could be up
- IKEA to double number of stores
- Westpac’s market share loss
- Six-inch iPhones on the way
Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King owns shares in McMillan Shakespeare.