The S&P / ASX 200 Index (^AXJO) (ASX:XJO) has close down slightly, dropping just 0.2% to end at 5,238.1, as investors await the outcome of the two-day US Federal Reserve meeting. Chairman Ben Bernanke is widely expected to announce a cut of around US$5-10 billion in quantitative easing, from its current level of US$85 billion per month.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today.
- TPG Telecom (TPM.AX) soared 5.9% to $4.48
- Sirius Resources (SIR.AX) climbed 5.6% to $2.82
- iiNet (IIN.AX) rose 5.6% to $6.27
- Regis Resources (RRL.AX) added 4.6% to $3.87
- Cudeco (CDU.AX) moved up 3.8% to $2.20
These stocks were the losers on the day.
- Paladin Energy (PDN.AX) dropped 6.4% to 51 cents
- Northern Star Resources (NST.AX) fell 5.4% to 79 cents
- Decmil Group (DCG.AX) lost 5.3% to $2.48
- Evolution Mining (EVN.AX) slipped 5.3% to 80 cents
- Ten Network Holdings (TEN.AX) closed down 4.8% at 30 cents
Interested in our #1 dividend-paying stock? Discover The Motley Fool’s favourite income idea for 2013-2014 in our brand-new, FREE research report, including a full investment analysis! Simply click here for your FREE copy of “The Motley Fool’s Top Dividend Stock for 2013-2014.”
- Here comes iOS 7
- Advisers and funds managers given the thumbs down
- Betting on a bank share price crash
- Aussie banks misunderstood
Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King owns shares in TPG Telecom and Sirius Resources.