Want to participate in a research study? Help shape the future of investing tools and earn a $60 gift card!
Important news for shareholders and potential investors in Banner Corporation (NASDAQ:BANR): The dividend payment of US$0.41 per share will be distributed to shareholders on 18 April 2019, and the stock will begin trading ex-dividend at an earlier date, 08 April 2019. Investors looking for higher income-generating stocks to add to their portfolio should keep reading, as I examine Banner's latest financial data to analyse its dividend characteristics.
5 questions to ask before buying a dividend stock
When researching a dividend stock, I always follow the following screening criteria:
- Is its annual yield among the top 25% of dividend-paying companies?
- Has it paid dividend every year without dramatically reducing payout in the past?
- Has it increased its dividend per share amount over the past?
- Is its earnings sufficient to payout dividend at the current rate?
- Will it have the ability to keep paying its dividends going forward?
How well does Banner fit our criteria?
The company currently pays out 35% of its earnings as a dividend, according to its trailing twelve-month data, meaning the dividend is sufficiently covered by earnings. In the near future, analysts are predicting a payout ratio of 37% which, assuming the share price stays the same, leads to a dividend yield of 3.0%. In addition to this, EPS should increase to $4.3.
When considering the sustainability of dividends, it is also worth checking the cash flow of a company. A company with strong cash flow, relative to earnings, can sometimes sustain a high pay out ratio.
If dividend is a key criteria in your investment consideration, then you need to make sure the dividend stock you're eyeing out is reliable in its payments. Although BANR's per share payments have increased in the past 10 years, it has not been a completely smooth ride. Investors have seen reductions in the dividend per share in the past, although, it has picked up again.
In terms of its peers, Banner produces a yield of 3.9%, which is high for Banks stocks.
Taking into account the dividend metrics, Banner ticks most of the boxes as a strong dividend investment, putting it in my list of top dividend payers. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, you should always research extensively before deciding whether or not a stock is an appropriate investment for you. I always recommend analysing the company's fundamentals and underlying business before making an investment decision. I've put together three relevant factors you should further examine:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for BANR’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for BANR’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is BANR worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it's not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether BANR is currently mispriced by the market.
- Other Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
We aim to bring you long-term focused research analysis driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis may not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements or qualitative material.
If you spot an error that warrants correction, please contact the editor at email@example.com. This article by Simply Wall St is general in nature. It does not constitute a recommendation to buy or sell any stock, and does not take account of your objectives, or your financial situation. Simply Wall St has no position in the stocks mentioned. Thank you for reading.