The Australian share market was lower at midday, with mining and consumer-focused stocks leading the weakness.
Weak commodity forecasts this week from two big iron ore producers - BHP Billiton and Brazil's Vale - have weighed on investor sentiment.
BHP Billiton shares were down more than two per cent, and were joined by a poor sentiment in gold miners such as Newcrest and Northern Star after the safe haven asset resumed its downward slide overnight.
Coles-owner Wesfarmers, REA Group and Flight Centre were also down more than one per cent each.
The four major banks were also trading in the red, ahead of their profit results that start next week.
Resmed shares lost 3.25 per cent to $9.23 after the medical device maker's third quarter revenue growth missed market expectations.
Meanwhile, the Australian dollar is down against its US counterpart, after major currencies came under pressure over worries about the Trump administration's protectionist stance.
ON THE ASX AT 1200 AEST:
* The benchmark S&P/ASX200 was down 20 points, or 0.34 per cent, at 5,901.5 points.
* The broader All Ordinaries index was down 18.3 points, or 0.31 per cent, at 5,926.1 points.
* The June SPI200 futures contract was down 26 points, or 0.44 per cent, at 5,883 points.
* National turnover was 1.15 billion securities traded worth $3.8 billion.
CURRENCY SNAPSHOT AT 1200 AEST:
One Australian dollar buys:
* 74.68 US cents, from 74.84 US cents on Thursday
* 82.99 Japanese yen, from 83.34 yen
* 68.72 euro cents, from 68.59 cents
* 57.86 British pence, from 58.07 pence
* 108.60 New Zealand cents, from 108.33 NZ cents
BOND SNAPSHOT AT 1200 AEST:
* CGS 5.25 per cent March 2019, 1.653pct, from 1.680pct
* CGS 4.25pct April 2026, 2.517pct, from 2.550pct
Sydney Futures Exchange prices:
* June 2017 10-year bond futures contract at 97.39 (implying a yield of 2.61pct), from 97.36 (2.64pct) on Thursday
* June 2017 3-year bond futures contract at 98.17 (1.83pct), from 98.14 (1.86pct)
(*Currency closes taken at 1700 AEST previous local session, bond market closes taken at 1630 AEST previous local session)