Australia markets closed

    -3.10 (-0.04%)

    -0.0024 (-0.36%)
  • ASX 200

    -7.40 (-0.09%)
  • OIL

    +0.68 (+0.88%)
  • GOLD

    +5.10 (+0.21%)
  • Bitcoin AUD

    -1,049.89 (-1.03%)
  • CMC Crypto 200

    +3.99 (+0.29%)

ATO lends helping hand to Aussies earning under $60,000

A crowd of people crossing the street in the Sydney CBD and someone filling out an ATO deductions form.
Any Aussies earning less than $60,000 a year can access free help from the ATO to lodge their tax return. (Source: Getty)

Aussies earning less than $60,000 can get access to a free service from the Australia Taxation Office (ATO) to help with their tax return.

From July to October each year, ATO-accredited volunteers help people lodge their tax returns online free.

Aussies who earn around, or less than, $60,000 a year can access the Tax Help program through the ATO.

The volunteers can also help you create a myGov account, lodge an amendment to your tax return and claim a refund of franking credits (the tax already paid on dividends).


You can speak to a Tax Help volunteer online, by phone or in person at tax help centres across Australia.

Who is eligible?

You are eligible for Tax Help if your income is around $60,000 or less for the income year and you didn't:

  • Work as a contractor – for example, a contract cleaner, taxi or uber driver

  • Run a business, including as a sole trader

  • Have partnership or trust matters

  • Sell shares or an investment property

  • Own a rental property

  • Have capital gains tax (CGT)

  • Receive royalties

  • Receive distributions from a trust, other than a managed fund

  • Receive foreign income, that is not a foreign pension or annuity

If you are not eligible for Tax Help you may qualify for assistance from a National Tax Clinic program.

How to access the Tax Help program

If you’re eligible for the Tax Help program, you will need to make an appointment. You will also need to create a myGov account and link it to the ATO.

When you are ready to make an appointment, you can call the ATO on 13 28 61 (select option 3, then option 2) to find Tax Help services near you.

You will need to bring the following with you for your appointment:

  • Your myGov username (or email you use for myGov) and password – if you are unable to locate or remember your myGov sign-in details, or don't have a myGov account, the volunteers can help

  • Your mobile phone to receive your myGov SMS security code

  • Your bank account details (BSB and account number)

  • Your tax file number (TFN)

  • An original or amended notice of assessment from any one of the past five years

  • Income statements or payment summaries from all sources

  • All your receipts for gifts, donations and work-related expenses

  • Details of any child support payments made

  • Details of your spouse's (married or de-facto) taxable income or a reasonable estimate if you had a spouse at any time during the financial year

Follow Yahoo Finance on Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and Twitter, and subscribe to the free Fully Briefed daily newsletter.