An infamous stretch of the Bruce Highway in southeast Queensland, considered one of the nation's deadliest, will get a $800 million upgrade.
Construction will start mid-2013, Federal Transport Minister Anthony Albanese and Queensland's acting premier Jeff Seeney announced on Tuesday, with the cost split between the federal and state governments.
Another 13 kilometres of the highway will be built to improve safety and travel times for the 20,000 drivers who use the road every day.
"This is fantastic news for Queenslanders and all motorists who travel on the Bruce Highway," Mr Seeney said.
Motoring organisation RACQ is disappointed the federal government didn't commit to its usual 80/20 funding for the infamous stretch of road.
The RACQ's Paul Turner said that part of the highway had been operating well above capacity for years and required duplication.
"The upgrade, which will provide a separated dual carriageway, will reduce the risk of head-on and other crashes, improve overtaking opportunities, and reduce travel times," he said.
"The announcement ... will mean many lives will be saved on what has been one of the deadliest stretches of national highway, not only in Queensland, but across Australia."
Between 2005 and 2009, 24 people died on the Cooroy to Gympie stretch of the Bruce Highway, and 155 were injured over the same period.