Every Monday I like to look at ASIC’s short position report in order to find out which shares are being targeted by short sellers.
This is because I believe it is worth keeping a close eye on short interest levels as high levels can sometimes be a sign that something isn’t quite right with a company.
With that in mind, here are the 10 most shorted shares on the ASX this week according to ASIC:
- Galaxy Resources Limited (ASX: GXY) remains the most shorted share on the ASX with short interest of 17.3%. The lithium miner’s shares have come under significant pressure this year after a collapse in lithium prices smashed its margins and impacted its production plans.
- Syrah Resources Ltd (ASX: SYR) has seen its short interest ease again to 15.8%. It looks as though many short sellers believe the worst is now priced into this graphite producer’s shares and are closing their positions.
- Orocobre Limited (ASX: ORE) has seen its short interest remain flat at 13.9%. Orocobre is another lithium miner which short sellers have successfully been targeting. It recently released a pricing update which revealed yet another sharp decline in lithium prices during the December quarter.
- Speedcast International Ltd (ASX: SDA) has short interest of 13.6%, which is up slightly week on week. Short sellers appear to believe that Speedcast will deliver another poor result in FY 2020. They may also have concerns over its material debt which is almost 3x its market capitalisation.
- Inghams Group Ltd (ASX: ING) has short interest of 12.65%, which is down week on week. Short sellers have been targeting the poultry producer due to a significant jump in feed costs because of the droughts.
- GWA Group Ltd (ASX: GWA) has short interest of 12.2%, which is down notably week on week. The building products company’s shares have come under pressure in recent months after management warned that tough trading conditions would impact its performance in FY 2020.
- JB Hi-Fi Limited (ASX: JBH) has seen its short interest rise slightly to 11.8%. Despite this high level of short interest, the retailer’s shares have been on fire this year and hit a new all-time high of $38.50 last week.
- NEXTDC Limited (ASX: NXT) has 11.8% of its shares held short, which is up slightly week on week again. The data centre operator recently revealed that it expects EBITDA growth of 17% to 23% in FY 2020. Some short sellers may not believe this growth is strong enough for the multiples it trades on.
- Nearmap Ltd (ASX: NEA) has entered the top ten with short interest of 11.1%. Short interest has continued to rise despite management recently guiding to record annualised contract value (ACV) of $116 million to $120 million in FY 2020. This will be a 28.6% to 33% increase year on year.
- Bega Cheese Ltd (ASX: BGA) has also entered the top ten with short interest of 11.1%. The food company’s poor performance in FY 2020 appears to have caught the eye of short sellers. At the end of October it warned that normalised EBITDA would fall 8.7% to 17.5% this year due partly to unprecedented competitive milk supply conditions.
The post These are the 10 most shorted shares on the ASX appeared first on Motley Fool Australia.
Instead of those highly shorted shares, I would snap up these buy-rated stocks which have been tipped for very big things.
Our Motley Fool experts have just released a brand new FREE report, detailing 5 dirt cheap shares that you can buy today.
One stock is an Australian internet darling with a rock solid reputation and an exciting new business line that promises years (or even decades) of growth… while trading at an ultra-low price…
Another is a diversified conglomerate trading near a 52-week low all while offering a 2.8% fully franked yield...
Plus 3 more cheap bets that could position you to profit over the next 12 months!
See for yourself now. Simply click the link below to scoop up your FREE copy and discover all 5 shares. But you will want to hurry – this free report is available for a brief time only.
- Man bets $221,666 on one ASX stock
- Top analysts name their top 3 ASX blue chip shares for 2019
- 3 quality dividend shares to boost your income
- NEW: Free report names top 3 ASX dividend shares to buy for 2019
- 5 Stocks for Potentially Building Wealth After 50
Motley Fool contributor James Mickleboro owns shares of Galaxy Resources Limited and NEXTDC Limited. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of and has recommended Nearmap Ltd. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Scott Phillips.
The Motley Fool's purpose is to help the world invest, better. Click here now for your free subscription to Take Stock, The Motley Fool's free investing newsletter. Packed with stock ideas and investing advice, it is essential reading for anyone looking to build and grow their wealth in the years ahead. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson. 2019