The S&P / ASX 200 Index (^AXJO) (ASX:XJO) has recovered some of yesterday’s fall, rising 1.1% to close at 5,064.8, after stronger than expected Chinese trade data. China’s exports rose 5.1% in July, and imports jumped 10.9% after unexpected falls in June. The Australian dollar also jumped higher on the news and is currently buying US 90.7 cents.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index.
- Billabong International (BBG.AX) rocketed up 17.4% to 57.5 cents
- Mount Gibson Iron (MGX.AX) climbed 8.6% to 63.5 cents
- Atlas Iron Limited (AGO.AX) rose 5.9% to 90.5 cents
- Ten Network Holdings (TEN.AX) added 5.7% to 28 cents
- Sirius Resources (SIR.AX) closed up 5.6% at $2.47
These stocks were the losers on the day.
- Karoon Gas (KAR.AX) dropped 8.4% to $5.13
- Cudeco Limited (CDU.AX) fell 7.4% to $1.37
- Discovery Metals (DML.AX) lost 6.7% to 14 cents
- Independence Group (IGO.AX) closed down 4.6% at $3.34
- Fleetwood Corporation (FWD.AX) slipped 4.4% to $3.72
Interested in our #1 dividend-paying stock? Discover The Motley Fool’s favourite income idea for 2013-2014 in our brand-new, FREE research report, including a full investment analysis! Simply click here for your FREE copy of “The Motley Fool’s Top Dividend Stock for 2013-2014.”
- Telstra posts full year $3.9 billion profit
- Coopers beer sales defy odds
- 3 ways to diversify your portfolio
- Property bubble ahead?
Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King owns shares in Sirius Resources.