The S&P / ASX 200 Index (^AXJO) (ASX:XJO) has surged higher on the back of positive local economic news and good news out of China. The Index finished up 1% at 5,188.3, with the consumer discretionary and energy sectors rising around 2%.
Here are the top five best performing stocks in the index today.
- Billabong International (BBG.AX) soared 14.1% to 48.5 cents
- Transfield Services (TSE.AX) climbed 9.6% to $1.255
- NRW Holdings (NWH.AX) rose 8% to $1.48
- Ausdrill (ASL.AX) jumped 6.8% to $1.57
- Sirius Resources (SIR.AX) added 6.5% to $2.95
These stocks were the losers on the day.
- Discovery Metals (DML.AX) dropped 9.7% to 14 cents
- OceanaGold Corporation (OGC.AX) lost 5.3% to $1.98
- Resolute Mining (RSG.AX) slipped 4.2% to 91.5 cents
- Silver Lake Resources (SLR.AX) dipped 4.1% to 94 cents
- St Barbara (SBM.AX) fell 3.1% to 78 cents
With its legendary, fully franked 28 cent dividend, Telstra is the darling of Aussie investors. But with its share price skyrocketing over the past year, is Telstra past its prime? Click here for our brand-new report: Is It Time to Sell Telstra?
- 4 stocks for a rise in confidence
- No rate cut tomorrow
- Investors desert managed funds
- iiNet to challenge Telstra’s dominance
Motley Fool writer/analyst Mike King owns shares in Sirius and Silver Lake.